Monday afternoon 1st May 2017 at the MCCSA from 2pm to 4:00 pm.
The Senate has established a Select Committee on Strengthening Multiculturalism on 27 March 2017. The committee is to inquire into and report on ways of protecting and strengthening Australia’s multiculturalism and social inclusion.
This is an important issue for South Australia’s multicultural sector and we would like you to participate in helping to develop MCCSA’s response to this Select Committee. The closing date for submissions is 12 May 2017.
If you would like to speak to us directly outside of the roundtable either Helena Kyriazopoulos or Kristin Johansson are happy to meet with you personally or becontacted via phone about any issue related to the terms of reference below on one of the following dates:
• 24th April 2017 – any time during day
• 25th April 2017 – any time during day
• 26th April 2017- any time during day
• 27Th April 2017 – any time during day
• 28th April – any time during day
• May 5th afternoon
The committee’s inquiry into ways of protecting and strengthening Australia’s multiculturalism and social inclusion, will give particular reference to 10 areas of interest. The MCCSA due to time constraints has identified the following areas which we would like to focus on in our response, provided that they are areas of concern to our members. These are:
• the adequacy and accessibility of social inclusion services and resources available to individuals and communities;
• the impact of discrimination, vilification and other forms of exclusion and bigotry on the basis of ‘race’, colour, national or ethnic origin, culture or religious belief;
• the impact of political leadership and media representation on the prevalence of vilification and other forms of exclusion and bigotry on the basis of ‘race’, colour, national or ethnic origin, culture or religious belief;
• how to improve the expected standards of public discourse about matters of ‘race’, colour, national or ethnic origin, culture or religious belief;
• how to better recognise and value the contribution that diverse communities bring to Australian social and community life
For additional information and the full list of interest areas please go to the Australian Government Website. Given the short time to respond we would appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible if you would like an appointment with Kristin or myself at the MCCSA or if you would like us to visit you on the dates listed above.
Could you respond by close of business April 28th if you want to attend the roundtable discussion on this at MCCSA 113 Gilbert St Adelaide on Monday 1st May, 2017. (2 to 4:00 pm)
If you are unable to participate in MCCSA’s response on behalf of all CALD communities but feel that you would like to prepare a response either on your own behalf or on behalf of an organisation the contact details are
Select Committee on Strengthening Multiculturalism
Department of the Senate
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6277 3228
Fax: 02 6277 5829